Location: Wellesley, MA
At MBI we are passionate about communicating science. Whether we are pitching a story to the media, explaining a technology to investors or cultivating a business development relationship, it’s our job to support our clients as they build leading companies in the life science industry. To succeed here you’ll need to first and foremost have a passion for learning about science, technology and innovation. You’ll need to be able to combine creative communication skills with professional integrity and a die-hard dedication to consistency and credibility. At MBI we’re a small group with a lot of responsibility, so you’ll need to be an extremely organized, detail-orientated team player. On the flip side, each day presents new challenges and you’ll have to be able to independently identify and solve problems without step-by-step instructions. Finally, keep in mind that this is a client-based service position; we pride ourselves in making the personal sacrifices to get the job done right, in other words this job is not 9-5, Monday through Friday. Are you up to it? Read on…
As a member of the MBI team you’ll have your share of block-and-tackle work, but you’ll also be centrally involved with some of the most important deals and events in the industry. Some of your tasks will include:
- Research: Biotechnology industry research: digging into both subscription databases and the world wide web to uncover and analyze facts, stats and other information so that we can all stay on top of our game and;
- Writing: whether its emails, press releases, conference call scripts, website content or fact sheets, we're looking for a very strong writer who can digest science and make it appealing to our audiences;
- Outreach: Investor outreach: targeting appropriate members of the financial community to arrange meetings and maintain contact;
- Media Relations: monitoring industry news and working with media to pitch client news and events;
- Event Planning: small, medium and large from quarterly conference calls to scientific symposiums.
The right candidate will have experience doing all these tasks in a front-facing capacity and will report directly to the senior executives of our clients as well as senior management at MBI. This position, like all at MBI, offers tremendous career growth and upward mobility which are only limited by your creativity and hard work.
- Lead multiple client accounts, conceptualize public and investor relations strategies and independently implement tactics
- Serve as the primary contact for our clients to provide knowledgeable counsel as well as responsive and personalized client service
- Engage in project management-related activities including timeline development and management, facilitating project team organization and communication, developing and communicating progress to clients, etc.
- Engage target audiences and develop relationships to identify and create opportunities for clients within the financial and/or media communities
- Develop written materials, including press releases, Q&As, presentations, fact sheets and websites
- Pitch investors and reporters to secure meetings/interviews and travel to conferences, investor roadshows, media interviews, etc.
- Training and mentoring junior team members
- Prior experience in corporate communications or communicating and translating scientific information
- Bachelor's degree; biology, chemistry or pre-med background preferred, or business/financial with an aptitude for science
- Ability to juggle multiple client accounts and interact with the most senior of clients’ management teams as needed
- Fanatical attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and outreach skills to network on behalf of clients; content to “cold call” when needed and to “work a room” at industry events
- Exceptional written communication skills; yes, there will be a test
- Desire to actively monitor and critically consider life science industry trends
- Demonstrated ability to execute resourcefully and independently
- Ability to work calmly and maintain professional integrity in fast-paced, high pressure situations
- Firm grip on or strong interest in mastering understanding financial markets
- Interest and engagement in the ever-changing social media landscape
Plus attributes include:
- Knowledge of/experience in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry
- Ph.D. in a life science field
- Investor and/or public relations experience
- Consulting/services experience
MacDougall Biomedical Communications (MBI) is a team of experienced, multi-talented consultants providing an integrated suite of media relations, investor relations, corporate communications and creative design services to life sciences companies of all sizes and stages, public and private. Our passion for communicating science and medical breakthroughs energizes us to come to work every day, and our belief in the importance of our clients’ missions instills a level of customer service unmatched in our industry. MBI offers its clients a global network of contacts and expertise addressing all key audiences: investors, media, partners, patients and the medical and scientific communities at large. For more information, visit www.macbiocom.com.
Does this sound like a good fit? Please send your resume to email@example.com
Return to listings